Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Off Topic

Post subject: Knives
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:59 pm 

Cash on hand:

Bank:

National Flag: United States of AmericaUnited States of America
Any knife guys around here.

Anyone carry one everyday for utility, defense, or because you just fucking crazy? :lol:

Ive always had some fixed blades for tripping around the woods and never been a folder kind of guy but I think that is about to change. I've been doing a lot of reading on just the sheer utility of knives not counting on the defense aspect. However, that defense aspect is the most important part when it counts. Looking to get 3-4 new knives to fill usage purposes.... Self defense, utility, survival, concealment...Maybe some other inbetween.

Good brands? Spyderco, Zero Tolerance, Emerson, TOPS, Boker, and tons more.

Good knives are 80-150...300+ even...cheap are 10-30...but anything will work for a while. It depends materials and craftsmanship.

Just wondering.

Post subject: Re: Knives
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:37 pm 

Cash on hand:

Bank:

Nah man. I don;t need a cop to roll up on me for speeding see a knife and open fire on my ass.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:47 pm 

Cash on hand:

Bank:

Yea...different laws for different parts.
No knife laws to speak of in my parts as long as a felony is absent on yer record.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:35 am 

Cash on hand:

National Flag: GeorgiaGeorgia
Yep, I always carry some sort of folding pocket knife wherever I am. I do have a really nice Kabar fixed blade (not the marine version), no telling how old is. Last time I wore it was probably 30 years ago.

Generally, I have a pocket knife just for utility stuff, but, I need to think more about the defense piece of it. We went on an airplane this week and all I had was my little keychain Gerber that's about 2.5 inches long. I thought about using of some terrorist acted up. I suppose the 1 inch blade would've worked lol. I feel a lot more comfortable with one of my carry pistols for defense.

I also just have quite a few of the folding pocket knives. If a relative dies or I rummage through their shit, I always get the knives ( with permission if rummaging lol). Anyway, i generally carry around an old Case folder. This is crazy, but, one of the knives I mainly carry around my house is a cheap folder that locks, that I got for about 5 bucks at home depot. I do t give a shit about it and have no problems putting the blade in the dirt or a bag of mulch. Just wash it off and it is good to go. No problem if I lose it.

I will also carry a Gerber mult tool that I have had for years. I use the shit out of that. I suspect the bottle opener has been used more than the pliers lol.

One last thought, I really need to get a good folding knife with a blade lock. Mainly for defense. I have wondered if I had to defend myself with my normal folder, the blade would fold backon my fingers.

As you can tell, I generally just have the basic, Case, Old Timer, Buck knives. I have heard good things about Spyderco and that would probably be what I would lean towards for a lock knife, if not just a cheaper Kershaw or Gerber from Walmart or academy sports. You may want to check out Benchmade. There generally a good bit over $100, but I have a buddy who swears by his. From me checking it out, it is a well made knife and one that would last for years.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:26 pm 

Cash on hand:

I'm a knife guy. Always kept a shank on me lol. Even broke and running the streets I would keep a steak knife or one of these mini steak knife, cheese knife whatever the fuck in my hoodie.

I usually keep a bad ass tactical folding knife with the seatbelt cutter and window smasher. All around I keep it for cutting stuff or to shank a mofo real quick.

Ive had butterflys, and mainly all folding. Gotta be discreet out here

Post Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:20 pm 

Cash on hand:

Bank:

NO point to balisongs IMO but karambits came straight from hell.
Karambits are a stunner. So fast and you can't see the blade
If I were a cop I'd be crazy scared of a dude cupping a karambit
All of the sudden your entrails are falling out.
THe leverage allows an ability to cut long and deep with closeup precision.
YOu aren't dropping the blade either unless your foe gonna break your fingers getting it away and I'd figure if the foe can do that you are done anyway.
Im carrying a karambit now for an EDC (everyday carry).
Picked one up cheap to get the feel and Ill score a nice one for a lifetime soon enough.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:26 pm 

Cash on hand:

Bank:

Post Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:17 pm 

Cash on hand:

I'm a knife guy. Always kept a shank on me lol. Even broke and running the streets I would keep a steak knife or one of these mini steak knife, cheese knife whatever the fuck in my hoodie.

I usually keep a bad ass tactical folding knife with the seatbelt cutter and window smasher. All around I keep it for cutting stuff or to shank a mofo real quick.

Ive had butterflys, and mainly all folding. Gotta be discreet out here

Steak knife lol. That's awesome.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:25 pm 

Cash on hand:

Bank:

I guess Ice could eat them too...more discreet would be a fork...maybe a sharpened spork. :shock:
Ain't too bright keeping it in your hoodie :kopfpatsch: ...but its hood and Im sure Ice walks with a swagger just knowing its there. :D

Knives don't have to be expensive to be effective.
LIke most shit...its the user.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:48 pm 

Cash on hand:

Any knife guys around here.

Anyone carry one everyday for utility, defense, or because you just fucking crazy? :lol:

Ive always had some fixed blades for tripping around the woods and never been a folder kind of guy but I think that is about to change. I've been doing a lot of reading on just the sheer utility of knives not counting on the defense aspect. However, that defense aspect is the most important part when it counts. Looking to get 3-4 new knives to fill usage purposes.... Self defense, utility, survival, concealment...Maybe some other inbetween.

Good brands? Spyderco, Zero Tolerance, Emerson, TOPS, Boker, and tons more.

Good knives are 80-150...300+ even...cheap are 10-30...but anything will work for a while. It depends materials and craftsmanship.

Just wondering.

Watcha get? Did you have a chance to check out a bench made? I'd be interested in your blade assessment.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:16 pm 

Cash on hand:

Bank:

Benchmade make fine knives. I've known about them for a while because they make HK's line of knives (Heckler & Koch).

I bought a two karambits from 5.11 because they were on super close out deals. 1 a folder and the other a fixed blade with sheath. Both have blades made from S30V Crucible steel which usually makes the damn knives cost 150+ a piece.

Both are pretty damn sweet. Made in Taiwan though but quality is top notch. USA made high quality stuff is way way way overpriced having to pay 200 to 400 a blade.

I already have a woods knife I posted a while back after that dog attack bullshit. Puma White Hunter worth 300-400 used. I've got some other utility knives 10 -30 bucks. Heck....they all are utility. They all work. Some just work hard and longer than others.

Looking to get a Spartan Xiphos for the acololypse. :lol:

Attachments:
large_3_511-Tactical-CUB-Master-2.0-Karambit-01.jpg
large_3_511-Tactical-CUB-Master-2.0-Karambit-01.jpg [ 351.59 KiB | Viewed 2859 times ]
511Karambit.jpg
511Karambit.jpg [ 25.53 KiB | Viewed 2859 times ]

Post Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:38 pm 

Cash on hand:

We always fuck with my dad about his 5.11 clothes. I did not know that had knives. I like em.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:32 am 

Cash on hand:

Bank:

I didn't know they made clothes. :lol:

Spyderco makes another nice karambit Ill pick up one day...the Karahawk

THe 5.11's are designed by Steve Tarani
The folder above is on sale now for 63% off at 50 bucks and it was over 100
The fixed is a nice piece too....hangs on the neck nicely and has decent sheath. Good on the belt too.
The folder would be a nice father's day present for your dad. :D

Post Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:03 am 

Cash on hand:

I knew there was a thread about knives.

V, did you ever decide on your knife? I have been looking to get a good pocket knife and doing my research and looking at reviews. Man, it's another world when you get into this! I think I have decided on a Spyderco para 3 or Native 5, both about as big as I want to go. I have been looking at one of the ultra premium steels like CPM 110sv. Probably don't need anything trike that and the one you mention 30sv would be perfectly fine. Actually probably way more than I would need as well.

Do you have an opinion on the locking mechanism? I would like to have one that is one handed operation. I am familiar with lockback and they are strong according to what I'm reading. I can do one handed, but, not quite as easy as a liner lock. I have played around with a buddies axis lock on his benchmade mini griptilian (nice knife) and it is really nice and easy. The para 3 has a compression lock with acts as a reverse liner lock ( they say it is different, but, it seems similar).

I just ordered a spyderco dragonfly 2 and it should arrive today. Got it free with amazon points. Thought I would try out spyderco while I make up my mind for a really nice one. It has the vg10 steel and is lock back. Hell, I may really like this and maybe it will satisfy me enough not to spend $150 + lol. I doubt it though.

Board index » Off Topic